- Fun, no-pressure games without strikes or outs, where all players hit and circle the bases. Each player gets paired up with a one-on-one helper we call a “buddy” that assists and encourages.
- Games generally last 45 minutes or 2 innings. Each team bats through the entire batting order every inning.
- Metal/wood bats are NOT permitted in this division, for safety reasons. Plastic bats only.
- These games are broken down by age group.
- No previous baseball experience required.
- All games end in a tie.
Recreational Divisions | Saturday Games
- Score is kept and there is both a winning and losing team.
- Youth Competitive Division (Thursdays at 6 pm): Ages 5-14
- Adult Competitive Division (Wednesdays at 6 pm): Ages 15 and up
- Games will last four full innings, unless otherwise announced as shortened due to time constraints.
- A Miracle League of Arizona staff member or designated volunteer will pitch to both teams.
- The Competitive Divisions are played with outs and (modified) strikes.
- If a batter swings and misses five times (foul balls do not count), they will be given the tee to use. There are no strikeouts.
- Each half inning will end after either three outs are recorded or 5+ runs are scored. All runs scored on the play which generates the fifth run count. (Examples: Four runs already in plus a three-run homer = 7 run inning. Four runs already in plus two-run double = 6 run inning).
- No bunting.
- No inside-the-park home runs in the Adult Competitive Division. The maximum number of bases a batter can reach on a hit that does not clear the fence is three.
- No extra base on an overthrow. If a runner stops at first, second or third, they will remain there even if the ball rolls away.
- Once the ball is returned to the pitcher, all runners must stop at the base they are currently at or running towards.
- No leading off the bases.
- Stealing second and third bases is permitted, after the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. No stealing of home plate.
- There is no infield fly rule.
- A player will receive one warning per season about throwing the bat. Each time thereafter will be an automatic out.
- All batters and base runners must wear helmets.
- The Youth Competitive Division uses plastic bats.
- Adult Competitive Division players may use aluminum and wood bats.
- The maximum number of defensive players on the field at one time is eleven (six outfielders).
- All defensive players must stay in their position and allow teammates to field balls hit in their direction.
- Infielders are permitted to touch only the base closest to them for a force out. Outs at other bases must be recorded by throwing the ball to a teammate (see diagram).
- All-games are played with a soft, baseball-size Easton Incrediball.
- Standard Major League Baseball rules will be followed for all other plays.
- Although volunteer support will be available, we ask that players wishing to join this division are able to bat and field independently and follow directions to stay on task.
*NOTE* – The Miracle League of Arizona staff will determine the suitability/skill level for participants to play at this level. They will discuss with parent if this league is appropriate for child; however, final determination rests solely with the MLAZ staff.
Newcomers looking to have an athlete participate can click HERE to create a registration account with us, and join our mailing list. Please call our office at (480) 686-8137 should you have any questions!
Interested Volunteers, please go to our Volunteer Page for information on submitting an application.